Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Pianist (To-Be)

 
Posted by Picasa


My mum has bought me this Yamaha mini organ about 23 years ago at a second-hand price of $50. Even though it cost only $50, but at that time, it was an extravagant gift. My mum who is a tailor has to sew about 5 tailored pants in order to earn this amount. Hence, I really treasured it and it has been with me all these years. In fact, both my brother and I have kept most of our childhood toys as we knew that our parents had used their hard earn money to buy these toys for us.

Anyway, ZY has longed been eyeing at my mini organ. Before letting her even touch my precious organ, I've told her that it is very important for her to be gentle with it. I told her that Po Po has bought this for mummy when mummy is very small and so she had to be very careful and not to bang on the keyboard.

So after many reminders, I finally opened my mini organ (this organ comes with a fitted carrier) and let ZY played with it. This organ still works relatively well considering its age (my mum got it at second hand, so not sure about its actual age). Well it's Made In Japan so the quality is there.

Hopefully ZY will treasure this mini organ as much as I do, and will be able to enjoy the music and love that it brings...

4 comments:

wolfgirl said...

It is important to treasure things, especially now tha twe are better able to afford such 'luxury' items for our kids...in our days, i think a harmonica/recorder is considered 'expensive' already.

Shana, I really applaude you for keeping your treasure for such a long time and incalcuating the values of appreciating gifts. And in my opinion, it still looks very new!

Angie said...

so conincidental! i received a Casio "portasound" too when i was 11 years old . It was because i came in 11th position in the whole sch when i was primary 4 and my parents were extremely proud of me, although i myself didnt know how i managed to achieve that. so they got me this then $500 portasound. My mom was a seamstress who worked from home too and my dad wasnt earning a lot in those days (not that he is earning alot) and the financial burden was heavy. The portasound was a very, very expensive thing for me.

I think it's still at my mom's place!! not too long ago my mom let jae played with it and it was in good working condition too. :)

wolfgirl said...

I had a $500 portosound too..my late dad got it at his company's 7th lunar month bidding exercise.

Quite a shame that I did not had the chance to learn music, so I did most of my playing using one finger, but I am able to play many songs...(must go and find out where this portosound is.

Shana said...

Wow, seems like most of us have a mini organ during our childhood! It's the 'IN' thing, i guess :)

Angie & Angela, must go and search for yours and keep it for Jaimie & RR ya!