Monday, May 18, 2009

Mummy's Bak Chang

Making Bak Chang at home is a very time consuming and tiring thing. From preparing the ingredients to washing the bamboo leaves, it will take 2-3 days of hard work! However, my mum loves to make Bak Chang at home for us every year as we love the taste of it as all those store bought ones simply cannot compared with hers. Every year, when I see her working non-stop to prepare the ingredients, I 'll tell her not to make them the next year as I can't bear to see her working so hard to satisfy our picky taste buds. I even asked her if she is happy to work so hard just to make the Bak Chang for us, and she will definitely answered me with a smile and said "Yes!".

Although I don't know how to prepare the ingredients and seasoning, I love to help her wrap up the Bak Chang. As you can see from the photo below, I'm wearing gloves while making the Bak Chang not because I'm trying to get Grade A for hygience ok but because I've a pair of very sensitive hands. They will become itchy if they are expose to moisture for too long :(





The delicious end product..which consist of braised pork belly, dried scallops, shitake mushrooms, minced pork, chestnuts and salted egg yolks. Simply Irresistably!! :P
 
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

lippy said...

These would be my dinner for next 6 days while mummy is away on holidays. Yummy!

Joyce Long said...

Yeh..can see you really like cooking..doing dumpling is not easy right..

Lydia said...

Hi Shana,

Whenever I see Dumplings, I know my b'day is just round the corner, haha!

Wow... your mummy's dumplings look so yummy. What dialect is your mom? I never ate one with dried scallops and salted egg yolks before.

My mom also make dumplings since my childhood time, and I "hate" to help her wash the leaves, hehe :P But I love to eat! Sometimes I could eat up to 3, haha!

Shana said...

Lydia, my mum and I are both Hakka. All along, since my grandma times, our bak chang has salted egg yolks in it, the scallop is added in recently to "upgrade" it :)