Monday, February 22, 2010

人日 = 擂茶

Last Saturday is the 7th day of the Lunar New Year, which is also called '人日'.

Every year on this day, my parents will invite all my relatives on my father's side to our house for the traditional Hakka feast "擂茶 " It is also a chance for all the cousins to meet once a year and to catch up on each other busy lives. Most importantly for me, it is also very convenient to be able to give angbaos to all my unmarried cousins, nieces and nephews all at one go without having to visit their homes! ^_^

My mum will usually start to prepare the roasted peanuts and the belachan chili one day in advance and my aunties will come early on the actual day to help in the washing and cutting of vegetables. Its a major operation as they need to prepare enough food for more than 20 people! Though physically tiring, I can see that they enjoyed themselves while chatting and cutting the vegetables. ^_^



While the adults are busy, ZY and her cousin, Caitlyn are busy playing. ^_^



3 comments:

Angie said...

LEICHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joyce Long said...

Wah...yr ttr looks yummy!!!

lippy said...

I have grown to love 擂茶. I remember disliking it when I was young! It is a healthy meal that I do not mind having at least once a week now!

Mum should share her recipe with all the mummy readers of this blog!