During my childhood time, my mum likes to stir-fry the mee tai mak with some meat, fish cake and vegetable. Very simple, you may say, but it taste fantastic :P
I love the fragrance of the slightly fatty pork belly together with the garlic and dark soy sauce. Accompanied by some chili padi, its so sedap ^_^
Unfortunately, MW on the other hand, hated mee tai mak as he associated it with illness. This is because my mother-in-law used to cook mee tai mak in soup for him whenever he was sick.
Thus, I'm never able to cook stir-fry mee tai mak at home as MW will definitely complained that I'm 'torturing' him. So, being a good wife, I will usually ask my mum to cook this dish for me instead if I have a craving for it :)
Opportunity however arising on last Friday when MW needed to stay up late in his office. I quickly went to the nearby wet market and bought the ingredients for this dish. This is the first time that I am cooking this dish by myself so I've called my mum to double check on the seasoning that she used.
Here how's the dish look like. It taste ok, I guess.
But it just lack a certain taste. A unique taste that only my mum is able to create. I think that's what we called 妈妈的味道.
7 comments:
Hey..I love fried MTM too..only fried ones. You are true sometimes it is that missing taste that make the difference. From the picture..you are a wonderful chef...zy and mw are lucky to have you lor..unlike me..I super lazy in cooking..
its amazing to read how the same mee tai mak can have different meanings or sentiments to different pple. i love my mee tai mak dry with black sauce(ba cho mee style) or in pork broth(home cooked style).
Me to loves mee tai mak.. Yr husband same as mine leh, he also hate MTM and maccoroni (I know it's wrong spelling) cos to him both foods are only for 'sick peoples'... However since we're staying with my mum, he basically have not much choice whenever my mum or I cook MTM n maccoroni.. He will 'eng sui' us by eating a bit and find other foods to fill up his stomach... heeheehee...
you are right... we always eat mee tai mak when we were sick in those days....heh heh heh.. another bento idea for me! :) thanks!
Fried mee tai bak is like shorter version of fried udon....
hehehehe...
I love mee tai bak soup, especially if the fishball and soup are good.
Macaroni is definitely not for sick people! Macaroni is great with tomato-based pasta sauce and lots of cheese... imagine you bite into the macaroni and it oozes with yummy pasta sauce and cheese...
Just like WG, I love mee tai mak soup, but with sliced fishcake!!
My mom usually make 面线 for us if we were not feeling well.
My fav mom-cooked-food is 面粉糕,all the outside stalls selling this can never ever compared with my mum's, far from my 妈妈的味道 :):)
Ummmm, i missed my mil's 面粉糕 and my mum's xinhua bee hoon and 面线. Somehow, my mum forget how to cook the 2 dishes.
Post a Comment